Saturday, June 15, 2013

Day One





SndDay 1:

First of all, for those who are wondering, we are 7 hours ahead of you here in TZ.  

0700 breakfast was not a good call.  Rae and I literally crawled out of our room. I took a shower in the morning and had mixed emotions.  While I was lucky to be taking a shower, I also had to suffer through a freezing cold shower.  Good thing I chopped all my hair off! 

In the middle of night we were woken up three times.  First by a man screaming "help, help".  We still don't know what it was..Next, we heard wild dogs.  These dogs did not sound as friendly as Zoey or Sparks.  And finally, at 2:30 there was a musical performance including a trumpet.  Delightful!  At least breakfast was good. 

After breakfast, we immediately went into town (Moshi) to exchange money.  I exchanged $200 and I got 325,600 shillings in return (sounds like I'm rich).  People here love American money.  I leave the cleaning women a dollar on my pillow every morning.  Town was bustling, even at 8 in the morning.  It's hard to explain all of the sounds and things I saw.  The most important Swahlii word I have learned is "Hapana" which means no.  The vendors won't leave you alone until you say that.  The other phrase I use at least 5599 times a day is "asante sana" aka thank you very much. 

I';ll continue this post later once I have a chance to get back online.  Xoxx all my love, Anna L.


Continuation: 

After town, we went to Agape which is a junior seminary school that Sister Malay takes care of. She is my day's favorite woman over here. She is very impressive and fully devoted to helping others. She told a story about a girl named Gloria who had no chance of becoming something without an education, until sister gave all of her money (500,000 shillings). Now Gloria has a masters and is fully equipped to be successful in life. 

After Agape, we went to a primary school   Right as we got off the bus, we were attacked with hugs and smiles and handshakes. 

We gave away tons of soccer balls and candy. I have never seen so many smiles. I decided to try and play some soccer with the boys who absolutely destroyed my self confidence (relating to soccer). They play on uneven dirt ground with rocks everywhere. So, naturally I fell right on my butt. They really got a kick out of a muzungo (white person) falling. 

We also visited a local market where they literally sell thousands of machetes. It made me a little nervous to see so many at that market. Our guide, Nelson, told us this is one of the places we shouldn't wander from the group. 

Next on the list was visiting Stephen's house. Stephen is the sweetest man ever. I met him before when I came in 2006 and he still remembered me. We visited with his family and the "Chagga caves". The caves have been around for hundreds of years when the men used to fight in the war while the women, children, and livestock hid. 

That night we went to El Rancho. El rancho is an Indian restaurant, with a Mexican name, that also serves Chinese and pizza. It is quite the place. Dad and I shared a couple of Tuskers and had a great time with everyone. It is kind of the white people's hangout of the area. 

It was fantastic. The group is great and we all get along. I met this group of young people who were working at the local hospital who invited us to the club in town. I laughed for at least a good 30 seconds. A club? In Africa? That sounds sketchy. The group of young Europeans said it was great and totally safe. After dinner we asked our driver and good friend, Oscar, if he knows of this place. He told us we will go soon and he will come in with us and fend off the men. He's the best. 

Needless to say, I slept great this night. 

1 comment:

  1. Keep the posts coming and I love the pictures. It is awesome that you guys have wifi available. That is a lot different than the dial up internet we had when I was there.
    We know that the St. Matthews contributions you are making are graciously and gratefully received. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete