Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Day 4 and Day 5



Monday and Tuesday were mostly traveling days. We were on our journey to get to the Serengeti and the Crater for safari. After packing up the stuff we needed for the following four days, we loaded into three Land Cruisers. Roads in Africa are absolutely awful. Roads leading up the the Serengeti are absolute death. By the time you get out of the car, your back is basically broken. It's all bumps and dirt. You sometimes have to wear a  bandana to keep the dust out of your mouth.

The drivers were Kakasii, Peter, and Momo. I already knew Kakasii since he has come to America and stayed at my house. By the end of the first day of driving I got to know the other two and fell in love with them. They each are so different from one another. 

Kakasii- easily the loudest man I have EVER met. He has a lead foot and stop for anything. Things (people, animals, cars)  either get out of the way, or don't. He thinks it's as simple as that. He's a fantastic driver, you feel safe even though you may be airborne in your seat. His laugh is also amazing. It's my second favorite laugh, next to my moms. 

Peter- the sweetheart of the group. He drives the fastest. When I'm with him, we always get to places first. He has a rim of blue in his eyes, which is amazing since most Africans have brown. He is the biggest multitasker of the group. He's a driver, a father, a teacher, and a friend. I asked him his favorite animal and he said an elephant. I asked why and he said because they are the most responsible. They are the only animal in Africa that sticks around and raises their young completely. 

Momo- the shy one. Momo is very soft spoken, but knows the answer to everything. All he does is laugh at me when I do stupid stuff. He's a cutie. I also love his name. I got his blessing to name my future dog Momo. 

Left to right: kaka, Momo, and Peter 


Monday we went to a Masai market and bought a bunch of stuff. I am now I pro at bargaining. That night we stayed at a place called Rhotia Valley Tented Lodge. I recommend looking it up because it was awesome (www.rhotiavalley.com). We stayed in a tent with beds and a shower and such. It was basically luxury camping. The owners of the Lodge are Dutch and they hire young people to work there for a couple of months. I will definitely be back there. 

The next day we started our journey to my favorite lodge, Ndutu Safari Lodge. It has a campfire set up every night with cool canvas chairs set up in a circle. It's in the middle of everything. There was a story a couple of years ago where a woman took her little kid past the point where it says (no one beyond this point. Danger) and he got snatched up my a leopard that was perched in a nearby tree. They never found him. Living in the middle of the African bush is no joke. 

Anyways, the road to Ndutu is not a fun one. The roads here are 80% dirt. Not to be too graphic, but when you blow your nose here, it's all dirt. 

On our way to Ndutu, we stopped at a little Masai boma (village compound). While we visited, we got to talk to all of the Masai and learn about their lifestyle. They live in these tiny hits made of cow dung and sticks. It's pretty gross, so next time you complain, remember you're not living in a poop hut. 

No comments:

Post a Comment