Monday, July 1, 2013

Orphanage



The time finally came for the rest of the group to go home and for the girls to be dropped off at the orphanage. Saying goodbye was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. I became so close with everyone. Saying bye to Kristian and Aaron was extremely difficult since Rae and I hung out with them every day, all day. Also, saying bye to my dad was weird since he got to home without me. 

Anyways, after Rae and I had a good cry, we got settled into our modest little double-bed room. Unfortunately, the windows here were left open before we arrived so we were greeted by multiple slugs, spiders, and bugs as a welcome gesture. 

The orphanage is fun while I'm with the kids, but when I go back to my room for bed, that's when I get the most homesick. After being here for so long, I begin to forget simple pleasures. Like being able to sleep without a mosquito net. Or being able to brush my teeth with the water that comes out of the sink. I will experience culture shock going back home all over again. 

The kids are awesome. There are three separate houses, all divided by age. There's a baby house, toddler house, and older house. They all are filled with such amazing kids. Even though they are orphans and have no home, they all are happy and bursting with love. It makes me reflect on my life. They are just grateful for having a place to sleep and having food to eat. My life is such a luxury compared to their simple one, yet they always smile. What am I missing? 


1 comment: